James McGilligan was born 10 Feb 1900 in the Roman Catholic parish of Granaghan (Swatragh, Co. Derry). On 22 Jun 1924 he was ordained a priest at Maynooth, Co. Kildare
- St. Columb’s College, Derry, Co. Derry
- St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
- 1924-5 Post Graduate Studies, Dunboyne House, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
- 1925-9 Curate in Lissan, Co. Tryone
- 1929-40 Curate in Carrickmore, Co. Tryone
- 1925- On loan to Arch-diocese of Armagh
He died 6 Jun 1940 at Carrickmore, Co. Tryone and buried at Carrickmore, Co. Tryone.
Source: Daly, E. and Devlin, K., 1997. The Clergy of the Diocese of Derry: An Index. Dublin, Ireland: Four Court Press. (Page 101)
3 replies on “James McGilligan, 1900”
Hi there, this is my grandmothers brother, we have a photo of him. We have found his great grandfathers grave in swatragh.
Can you please help us trace the grave of father James McGilligan born Feb 10 1900 died June 6th 1940 buried at carrickmore Co Tyrone curate there 1929 to 1940. I am his great niece and would like to obtain birth death certificates etc… Many thanks
Hi Barbara, I found the birth certificate for James McGilligan. He was born February 10, 1900 to John McGilligan and Catherine O’Neill. His father’s occupation was listed as a publican. The birthplace recorded as Granaghan (Swatragh, County Londonderry). Regards, Ray